Thursday, April 12, 2007

lace, FO, what next?

I have finished the second clue in the Galveston Mystery Shawl KAL. It is now in the slouchy hat/tea cozy stage, so I don't have a picture of the whole thing but I have some close ups. It is currently octagonal in shape. There was a square pannel where there were no increases. I love the rectangles in this section.And a triangular pannel where all the increases were placed. There is sort of a leafy pattern going on there.
I just can't wait to see what it looks like when it is done!!


I also finished the Clapotis I was working on last week! It is a very simple pattern once you get used to how the pattern is written. I was confused a bit when I started the second section, but once I worked it out it was a breeze to finish. I was using a larger set of needles and a heavier yarn than the pattern called for, so there was some frustration, frogging, further frustration and additional frogging involved with the finishing of this item.


I used worsted weight superwash that I spun from a combination of Dandy Lion and Macaw colorways from Spunky Eclectic. I had 12 oz that I spun into aprox 800 yards of 2 ply worsted and I used US 10.5 needles. The pattern calls for 12 repeats of the third section, on the larger needles that would have made this shawl ENORMOUS!! So I tried 10 repeats, and came up short in the yardage. I ripped it back to 9 repeats and tried again. STILL to short in yardage *groan*. Ripped it back to 8 repeats and I had enough yardage to finish with just a teeny bit left over. Even with only 8 repeats, it is still almost 7 feet long!

Now I need to figure out what I am going to do next. I might do some spinning for fiber friday tomorrow, I have tons of fiber to choose from. But I also have some other ideas for knitted things. I want to make a print 'o the waves shawl, now that I am all into lace, I also want to make some stocking caps for friends and family to wear to the Harry Potter parties this summer. I could spin some orphan rovings into yarn for caps. And at some point I have to start crocheting my Mrs Weasley sweater. I just don't know where to start!